Saturday, July 11, 2009

TUBE Update

My my...what a life! The adventure never ends.:)
Well the first week has been tough with the NG tube. I have changed it twice--once with the help of my sweet, nurse friend Ashley, who is herself recovering from brain surgery but was sweet enough to come over to help us on our first replacement outside of the hospital. Friends are awesome--especially NURSES!!!! Love you!!!!
Then nurse Mario helped me today. He's the cutest nurse I've ever seen!
That has proved to be the easy part. Here is the unexpected complication: she is vomiting. She usually vomits once or twice a day and we are not sure why. We cut the volume in half, so I am feeding her every 2 hours--yea, I have a newborn again!! Still she vomits. We had 2 tests at the H yesterday and they cannot find a cause but we did adjust the length of the tube. We saw on the xray that it was resting at the bottom of her tummy and maybe covering the valve that empties into the intestines. So far so good. Please pray for a resolution to this issue. It is very stressful and very messy. And it puts Reese through a lot of discomfort. She is our hero.
You know, I really hate the hard days. I really hate the uncertainty. But the great part is, it makes me thirst for the Lord. What a blessing.
Here's what He is teaching me about contentment: it is what I learn to think and do. It is not dependent upon the storm raging around me. I will be as content as I decide to be through the power of Jesus Christ.
"I am able to face anything by the one who makes me able to do it" Philippians 4:13 (literal Greek)
"God...is the blessed controller of all things, the king over all kings and the master of all masters." I Tim. 6:15
"Lord, you have assigned me my portion and my cup; you have made my lot secure." Ps. 16:5

"Two women looked through prison bars
One saw mud, the other stars."

"Ultimately, contentment is more a shift in attitude than a change in circumstances. Paul shifted his attitude by choosing not to be anxious and instead to pray specifically with thanksgiving. He chose to dwell on the positives, even though his life was filled with negatives. As a result, he experienced the peace of God." Linda Dillow

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    You don't know me, but I'm a friend of Linda W. My youngest daughter also had an NG tube. I remember well the emotions you are describing and the anxiety I felt over doing it myself! You can do this! God is with you.

    I also understand not being a medical person. My ped recently joked with me, asking if I was going to be a nurse when I grew up as I've experienced a lot of medical scenarios in the last couple of years. You do it because it is part of the path God has you on. You do it because it is what is best for your precious child.

    Praying for you as you learn this new procedure. Praying Reese will leave it in too. Praying for you to know God's hands at work in your lives and hearts every day.

    If I can ever encourage you with anything regarding an NG (not that I'm an expert - just another mom), please feel free to write me.

    BTW, your daughter is just beautiful!

    Hugs to you,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time!