Saturday, August 25, 2012

Don't Ever Forget...God is FAITHFUL!

Romans 8:26: "In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans." I'm blown away by God today. He is so good, so loving, so caring, so involved in the lives of those who love Him. I praise Him for that. I ran into Mia's 5th Grade teacher on Tuesday. He asked about Reese and I told him she's doing great. He remembered that Mia had asked her class to pray at the end of the school year about Reese's scoliosis. He said she was concerned about Reese's back. I was a little taken by surprise because it was an "Oh yeah" kind of moment. I meant to pray about that...every day. Somehow I got distracted and have focused on other things; I guess whatever is in front of me and the most pressing gets my attention. Anyone who knows me knows I only have so much room for memories in this tiny little frontal lobe of mine (is that where memories are anyway?) So to back up a little, Reese was diagnosed with scoliosis about a year and a half ago. Her spine was starting to curve because of her low muscle tone, which leads to slouching, which leads to...it never ends. So we had her fitted for the horrible scoli vest which she is supposed to wear 90% of the day. And if I feel like being "nice mom" and give her a break from it, I hear the Orthopedic Surgeon's voice in the back of my mind saying that surgery is on the horizon for her...not a matter of "if" but "when". So I usually keep her in that hard, hot, miserable thing to buy us as much time as possible. We see doc every 6 months for an x-ray and check up. So 6 months ago, he measured her curve at 35%. That sounded really bad to me. He said once we get to 50-60% we need to talk about surgery. Oh I can't tell you how much I want to avoid that, for so many reasons including pain, infection, pain, infection, pain... I asked, "Have you ever see the curve reverse itself?" Please please o please say yes. He said that is very unlikely. "But have you ever seen it?" He said, "Yes, but it is very unlikely. I wouldn't count on that." He also said that her vest will not correct her scoliosis but it would delay the inevitable. There is nothing we can do to stop her from getting worse, we can only slow down the progression. So we decided we would pray that God would straighten out her spine. And we did. And I asked other friends and family to pray. And Mia prayed with her class and her sweet, faithful teacher. And I am sad to say that at some point I forgot to keep praying. And I stopped thinking about it. I was praying about oxygen sats and seizures but forgot about the curve for awhile. Wouldn't you know, the teacher reminded me about that prayer the day before our 6 month check up with the Ortho Doc. I felt a little nudge from God, saying, "Remember?" I wasn't sure why. Part of me was a little scared, like, are you preparing me for some bad news? So we had the x-ray. I braced myself. "Hmmmm...let's see," he said. "I measured the curve at 26%." What?!?! What did you say? Could it be right? I was surprised, stunned, shocked, but then it hit me... God is straightening out her spine! God showed me a couple things this week. First...I know that intersection with Mr. Mann in the hallway was not a coincidence. I know it was God telling me I CARE ABOUT REESE. I CARE ABOUT YOU. I AM INVOLVED. I AM ALWAYS AT WORK EVEN WHEN YOU FORGET. I felt so loved.:) And even when I have stopped praying, or I don't know what to even pray anymore, the Spirit Himself intercedes for us. HE INTERCEDES FOR US! It blows me away. May I never forget, may you also never forget, God is faithful. HOW VERY GRATEFUL I am. In awe. So thankful.:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time!